Saturday, August 10, 2013

Maternity Shopping Tips

I head out early this morning to finally buy some maternity clothes. Since I went out early, there weren’t very many people around and I took my sweet time trying on a ton of clothes. With that being said, here are the “tips” that helped me along the way.

IMG_2599Sneak peak of some of today’s finds.  

  • Don’t shop at stores that specialize in maternity. We’re talking stores like A Pea in the Pod, Destination Maternity, etc. Everything there will be so ridiculously expensive and you’ll end up spending a ton on clothes that you won’t wear very long. I went to stores like Kohl’s, Gordman’s, and Target.
  • Shop the sales. I racked up at Gordman’s today by only shopping the sales racks.
  • Find pieces you can wear throughout your entire pregnancy. I found several cute short dresses today but I knew I couldn’t wear those towards the end of my pregnancy in December so I put them back. One of the shirts I bought is a tank top but I knew I could wear it under a cardigan in the colder months.
  • If you aren’t completely comfortable, don’t buy it. I tired on a shirt that I loved but I didn’t feel 100% comfortable in it. Since I loved it, I debated it for a while then ultimately decided, if I don’t love how I look or feel in it now I won’t love it later either.
  • Utilize what you already have. I went through my closet pretty early on and pulled out pieces I had that could work over a bump. This included tunic’s, leggings, and maxi dresses/skirts.

I know a lot of people say “don’t buy maternity, just buy clothes 1 size bigger than you are” and I understand the concept of this but I don’t agree 100%. The maternity clothes I bought don’t look like maternity clothes so you bet I’ll be wearing them even when I’m not pregnant and they’re my size. If I would have just went up a size, I wouldn’t be able to wear anything afterwards which would have been wasteful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment